What is Stewardship?
“Stewardship” is everything we do after we say, “I Believe.” Stewardship is not fundraising, it is one aspect of the Christian life–like worship, prayer, Bible study and service. The path from membership to discipleship can be traveled by focusing on authentic stewardship ministry and telling the story of what we do together.
This Stewardship Overview provides an introduction on changing the conversation from fundraising to authentic ministry:
The Rev. Bill Tesch is the Director of Evangelical Mission for the South Dakota Synod. Contact Pastor Bill if you would like to explore ways to improve your congregation’s stewardship ministry.
Resources from “Giving Ourselves to the Lord” with Dr. Ed Kruse
All resources may be accessed and downloaded here. Resources include:
- Overview, including timetable
- PowerPoint – 15 slides
- Letter #1 – to enlist Teams of Two from 1/3 to 1/2 the congregation
- Letter #2 – to all members six weeks before Celebration Sunday
- Letter #3 – to all members four weeks before Celebration Sunday
- Letter #4 – to all members two weeks before Celebration Sunday
- Letter #5 – to all members the day after Celebration Sunday
- Mail Listening – pledge form to be sent to those who did not receive a visit or phone call
- Phone Listening – pledge form to be used by phone callers to those who did not receive a visit
- Listening Visit – pledge form to be used on personal visits by Teams of Two
- Listening Visit Guidelines – for Teams of Two making personal visits
- Ceremony for Gathering the Estimates of Giving – for the pastor and guest speaker
- Congregational Health Summary – for general use by South Dakota Synod congregations
- Bible Study #1 – Generous
- Bible Study #2 – Commitment
- Bible Study #3 – Share
- Bible Study #4 – Give Freely
- Bible Study #5 – Sacrifice
- Bible Study #6 – Joy
Stewardship Day Resources
Here are a few of the stewardship resources that have been distributed during Fall Stewardship Days that you may find useful in your congregation:
- Mission Support FAQs
- Mission Support Conversations With Your Council or Board
- Simple Fall Stewardship Program – “That All May Be Fed”
- A Recipe For A Recipe
Telling the Story
Together we do amazing things! Your congregation, the South Dakota Synod, and the ELCA churchwide office do ministry together around the world and in your back yard. We need you to tell the story of what God is doing in your midst. God is at work at work in South Dakota and globally!
A Missional Stewardship Theology
by Rev. Bill Tesch
South Dakota Synod Steward Leaders: “God’s Gifts. Open Hands.”
We have 25 trained steward leaders in South Dakota to walk beside you in your congregation’s stewardship endeavors. They are located across the South Dakota Synod and prepared to serve you! For information on how they can work with you, download the Steward Leader Brochure.
If you are interested in having a steward leader come to your congregation, please call Rev. Bill Tesch at 605-274-4026 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steward Leader Process:
2013 Stories of Faith in Action
In the special 25th Anniversary issue of Stories of Faith in Action, you’ll discover 21 stories of the people whose lives have been touched by ELCA ministries in the past year, as well as our 25th anniversary timeline celebrating where we’ve come and where we’re going as a church freed in Christ to serve.
You’ll also find resources on Mission Support (the portion of your weekly offering that is shared with ELCA synods and churchwide ministries) and how the important contributions members make to this church are put to use in life-changing ministries across the country and around the world.
To order free copies call 800-638-3522, ext. 2580, and ask for ELCAMA1167.
Order online at www.elca.org/resources and search for ELCAMA1167.
You’ll only pay for shipping.
Mission Interpreters tell the story of where the offering is going through your giving. Synods and coordinators work in synergy to tell personal stories from your synod. Personal stories are being told of how giving has changed the lives of many and being good stewards help to support God’s work, Our hands. This is achieved through temple talks, bible studies and synod tables.
South Dakota Synod Cookbook and Recipes
The South Dakota Synod Cookbook features recipes for your next potluck supper and recipes for ministries happening in South Dakota and beyond. View the cookbook by clicking the image above or by clicking here.
And see more recipes for ministry here on the synod website!
The Missional Church…Simple
The annual response campaign, in which each person or household in the congregation is asked to respond to God’s call on their life by completing a financial commitment form indicating a plan for giving over the coming year, is the cornerstone of any congregation’s financial stewardship ministry. Click here for information about several excellent annual response campaigns.
Capital Appeals challenge each person or household to second mile giving over and above their giving to the ongoing mission and ministry of the church. Capital Appeals are conducted in order to advance the congregation’s mission through such things as: facility expansion, debt reduction, missionary sponsorship or major program expansions.
- Stewardship Key Leader is an excellent resource for congregations considering Capital Campaigns.
- Congregations in South Dakota have also worked with the following consulting companies with good success:
You may contact Rev. Bill Tesch for guidance in planning a Capital Campaign.
Links for additional resources for stewardship ministry:
- Information on how your Mission Support dollars are spent
- Luther Seminary Stewardship for the 21st Century
- The ELCA Stewardship website
- Recent studies on giving and volunteering from Independent Sector
- Fundraising Beliefs by Dan Hotchkiss
- Fact or Fiction: Four Myths on Giving
- A Theology of Money
- Capital Campaign – 6 Keys to Success
- Grants as a Source of Funding for Your Congregation
If you are the treasurer of your church and looking for basic information about financial management, financial reporting, visit this site.